Monday, October 27, 2014

A Good Listener

I love those times when a verse of Scripture I have read over and over and over many time jumps off the page at me, almost as though I am reading it for the first time.

Such was my experience recently with a verse in Psalm 116.

"Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live."  (Psalm 116:2 ESV)

He inclined his ear to me. 

One definition of the word inclined has to do with leaning.  Using that definition, this verse tells me that God leaned down to hear me when I called on Him.  The verse goes on to say that because God leaned down to hear me, I will continue to call on Him as long as I live.

He leaned down to hear me.  He listens when I call out to Him.  He cares about what I have to say.

Picture it this way.  You're the adult in the room, perhaps the parent or the grandparent, and a small child has something to say to you.  You lean down to their level to hear what they have to say, to listen to them.

That's the word picture we have in this verse.  God leans down to our level to hear what we have to say.

He inclines His ear to me.

May I be faithful to incline my ear to hear what He has to say. 

May I listen as well to Him as He does to me!

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us." (1 John 5:14 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment