Friday, November 15, 2013

The Best Part......

You know the commercial....."the best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup."

Well, I'm here to take issue with that statement! For starters, I drink a different brand of coffee. And plenty of it! I'm not here to take issue with beginning the day with a cup of coffee.  If you know me at all, or if you've been a reader here for a while, then you know that I love my morning coffee. And my afternoon coffee. And my evening coffee.

My focus is on the "best part of waking up" part of that jingle. My morning routine goes pretty much the same way every day, unless I'm traveling, which brings a few minor adjustments to the routine.

The first thing each morning is that trip to the bathroom to take care of business. Then I let Molly out to take care of her business. While she's busy with that, I refill her bowls with food and fresh water, and when she comes back in, I dispense her daily glucosamine tablet. (She is, after all, an old dog!) After that, I pour the first cup of coffee. Coffee which, I must point out, was made for me by my non-coffee-drinking husband. Unless, of course, he's out of town and then, hopefully, I remembered to make it the night before and set the timer. Otherwise, that has to be dealt with.

Once that cup of coffee is poured, I sit in my chair (which I frequently have to share with Molly!) and check the Bible app on my phone. There I get the "verse of the day", which I usually share with Facebook. (Unless I'm having a particularly foggy morning and forget!) After that, I check the Bible app for the day's reading in the Bible reading plan I'm following this year.

And then comes "the best part of waking up".......my daily time in God's Word......something I look forward to every morning!

I've been reading in the Gospel of Luke for several days now. Here are some of the nuggets I feasted on this morning:

"One's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke 12:15 ESV)

"Do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food and the body more than clothing." (Luke 12:22 ESV)

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Luke 12:34 ESV)

"You must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."        (Luke 12:40 ESV)

Starting the day feasting on God's Word and spending time with Him in prayer. Truly that is the very best part of waking up!

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." (Psalm 143:8 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment