Saturday, November 23, 2013

How?

"How can a young person live a clean life?
By carefully reading the map of Your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of You;
don't let me miss the road signs You've posted.
I've banked Your promises in the vault of my heart
so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
train me in Your ways of wise living."
(Psalm 119:9-12, The Message)
 
 
I first became acquainted with this passage of Scripture when I was a child. Back then it sounded a little different. Back then we used the King James Version of the Bible, and the passage read like this:
"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word." (Psalm 119:9 KJV)
 
 
I love the KJV. It's a part of the fabric of my growing up years. But most of us in 21st century America don't use words like "wherewithal" or phrases like "taking heed thereto" in our daily conversation. In that respect, the reading from The Message is more understandable. The words are different, but the truth is the same, no matter which translation or paraphrase you read it from.
 
 
How do we live out the Christian life? How can we make sense of life? How do we face the challenges of daily living in a way that honors God?
 
 
The answer is clear in this passage: "by taking heed", "by carefully reading". The NIV renders this passage this way: "by living according to your word."
 
 
And how do we live according to God's Word? We must first know what it says. And how do we know what it says? We must "carefully read it."
 
 
The passage refers to a young person ("young man" in the KJV). But I would submit to you that this is good advice for all people, men and women, young and old, in whatever season of life.
 
 
How am I going to live as God desires me to live? How am I going to honor Him in my daily living? How am I going to know how to make good choices? How am I going to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which [I] have been called?" (Ephesians 4:1, ESV).


The answer is clear. The passage asks a question....."how"......and then gives the answer. Our challenge is to "take heed."

"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Your word.
With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You.
Blessed are You, O LORD;
Teach me Your statutes."
(Psalm 119:9-12, NASB, emphasis mine)




No comments:

Post a Comment