Friday, August 23, 2013

Where Did It Go?

As I look out across the mountains in front of me on this cool, foggy August morning, I find myself wondering what ever happened to summer.  Where did it go?

I realize that, according to the calendar, we are still in the summer season.  But, as I have mentioned before, this has been a very un-summer-like summer!  It has been unusually cool on this mountaintop for the entire season.  In fact, our temperature here has yet to reach the 90 degree mark.  It has, of course, been warmer at lower elevations.  And when we traveled to SC and to FL we certainly experienced much (!!!) warmer temperatures.  But summer up here on our mountaintop has been a rather cool one.

And it has been wet!  I've been hesitant to complain too much about the rain, since I well remember the severe drought years when we first moved to these mountains.  I have, of course, complained just a wee bit!!  I have really, really enjoyed those rare days when the sky has been blue and cloud-free.  We haven't had too many of those this year.  Very un-summer-like.

For the last week or two, the weather has been unseasonably cool.  It feels - and looks - more like fall than summer.  And even though I really love fall, I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of summer.  

But school has started again, at least in this part of the country.  (I realize that in many other parts of the country, school resumes after Labor Day, but that's not how we do it here!)  Our hummingbirds have left, except for one lone bird who keeps hanging around.  We're experiencing the foggy mornings that come as we move into fall.  (I'm told that there is a correlation between foggy mornings in August and snow in winter.  If that's true, we may be in for a snowy winter season, since we have had fog every morning this month!)  The leaves have started to turn.  Acorns and hickory nuts are falling from the trees at a furious pace.  And, since we live in a house with a tin roof, we are very aware of every one that falls!

Summer has come to an end.  Much too soon.  Time seems to be passing by very quickly!

Is this a sign that I'm getting old???


"O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.  So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come."  (Psalm 71:17-18 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment