Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fan or Follower?

That was the title of Sunday morning's message from our Minister to Students, Seth Buckley.  As I have been reflecting back on that message, three of Seth's opening statements continue to reverberate through my mind.

  • We think too highly of ourselves.
  • We place too much emphasis on things that don't matter.
  • Are you for real, or are you just like everybody else?

You see, the main point is this:  nothing matters outside of Jesus!  And the main question is this:  are you a "fan" of Jesus, or are you a "follower"?  Are you really following Jesus?  Is there any difference between you and the rest of the world?  Can the world see that you are a follower of Jesus?  And what does it really mean to be a follower?  What's the difference between a fan and a follower? 

This is what Jesus had to say about that:

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."  (Luke 9:23 ESV)

Breaking that verse down phrase by phrase, as Seth did for us on Sunday, helps us to clarify exactly what it means to be a follower.  As we approach football season, we understand what a fan is.......one who shows up once a week but has put no effort into the outcome of the game other than to cheer when they like what happens on the field and criticize when they don't like it.  Using that definition, there are a lot of fans in our churches today.  But how many of us are really living like followers?

How many of us, and I include myself as I ask these questions, are truly coming after Jesus?  How many are truly denying self?  That's the very antithesis of what our culture teaches!  How many of us are truly taking up the cross?  Publicly identifying with Jesus?  Or are we too busy trying to "fit in", trying to go along with the crowd and not rock anybody's boat?

Are we really following?  The Amplified Bible expands that verse this way:

"If any person wills to come after Me, Let him deny himself (disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, refuse and give up himself) and take up his cross daily and follow Me (cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also.)
(Luke 9:23 AMP)

Conforming wholly to His example.  Losing sight of our own interests and instead choosing His interests.  That's what a follower of Jesus does.  Laying down our personal agendas and picking up His.  That's what a follower of Jesus does.  Giving up self-interest and following Jesus wholly and only.  That's what a follower of Jesus does.

Unfortunately I'm afraid there are a lot more Jesus-fans in our society than there are Jesus-followers.  Our world would be a lot different if those of us who call ourselves Christians lived more like followers than fans.  If the world could really tell the difference.  That's a sobering, convicting thought.  Because sadly, in far too many cases, you really can't tell the difference.

I'm so grateful to Seth for drawing our attention to this topic on Sunday.  I'm grateful for the way God is continuing to draw these thoughts to my mind since Sunday morning, for how He is teaching me more and more what it means to be a follower.  I'm grateful for a new and clarified understanding of how a follower is different from a fan.  And how I pray that others will be able to see the difference in me!

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers [and sisters], by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  (Romans 12:1-2 ESV)


In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory
In the power of the cross.
In every victory
Let it be said of me,
My source of strength,
My source of hope,
Is Christ alone.
 
-from "In Christ Alone" (Koch/Craig)

No comments:

Post a Comment