Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Don't Give Me Attitude!

I think it is a universal truth that big sisters always boss around their younger brothers.  I almost said "little" brothers, but the fact is that older sisters will always boss around younger brothers even when the younger brother is no longer the little brother.

Al and I witnessed this phenomenon a couple of days ago as we were doing some errands together.  A brother and sister were bringing lunch to their mom who was working in the store.   We (and the mom) were very amused at how the sister was bossing the brother around.......put this here, put that there, hurry up, don't take so long.....

And I will have to confess that I, the older sister, have occasionally been described as "the bossy one." Just ask my younger brother!

I believe that this family tradition (bossy older sister) will continue in fine form in January when my great-niece Ansley, along with her parents of course, welcomes her new baby brother into the world.  She's off to a good start already.

I laughed out loud when I read on Facebook what Ansley, age 3, had said to a 12-year old boy.  She said, "Don't give me attitude!"  Definitely a good start to the role of bossy big sister!

But as I have been thinking about that phrase, I wonder how often our Heavenly Father might like to say that exact same thing to us.  Don't give me attitude.

Our attitudes often need an adjustment, don't they?  Sometimes we're a little too bossy (and not just the "big sisters" among us are guilty).  Sometimes we're a little (or more than a little) rebellious.  We're sometimes a little (or a lot) short-tempered.  Or impatient.  Or rude.  Or unkind.

Maybe today is a good day to stop and evaluate our attitudes.  To make adjustments where they are needed.  To examine our thoughts and our motives.  So that our Father doesn't need to say to us, "Don't give me attitude!"

"All the ways of a man [or a woman] are pure in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit."  (Proverbs 16:2 ESV)

"Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin."  (Proverbs 13:3 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment