Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Treasuring and Delighting

Today I would like us to take one last look at the beth stanza before we move on to gimel.  I mentioned to you as we began that studying inductively involves three main aspects:  observation, interpretation, application.  Today our focus in on applying the beth stanza.  As I was seeking application to my own life, I walked verse by verse through the stanza and asked myself some questions.....similar to the 5Ws and H that we use for observation, using that same technique as I lined my own life up against what the Scripture says in these eight verses.  That may work for you.  Here are the questions I have been asking myself:
  • verse 9 - How can I keep my way pure?  The answer in this verse is "by keeping it according to Thy Word."  Again, the question is "how"?  How do I accomplish that in my daily life?
  • verse 10 - With all my heart I have sought You.  Have I/do I really seek God with ALL my heart?  Or is my heart/my attention divided?  Does God get my primary attention or does He get the leftovers...does He get my attention "when I have time"?
  • verse 11 - Do I treasure God's Word.....or do I take it for granted or treat it lightly or just give attention to the "easy" parts/the parts I like?  Am I treasuring it by memorizing it?
  • verse 12 - Is this my prayer ("teach me Your statutes")?  Am I consistently "putting feet to my prayers" by purposely setting aside time/ carving out time in my day for God's Word?
  • verse 13 - Am I consistently "telling of all the ordinances of Your mouth"?
  • verse 14 -  Am I "rejoicing" in God's way?  (See again the comments for verse 11).
  • verse 15  - Have I made a commitment ("I will")  to meditate on God's principles?  Again, am I devoting time to this pursuit?
  • verse 16 - Do I delight in God's statutes?  How is this evident in my life?
When examined this way, slowly and verse by verse, I find it to be a very convicting, very humbling portion of Scripture.  What about you?  Any insights you want to share?  If so, please leave a comment.

Why not close your study time today by meditating again on this portion of Psalm 119 and making whatever commitments and resolutions you need to make about how you are applying what you've learned.

If time allows, go ahead and read the gimel stanza and begin thinking about that one as well.  That will be our focus tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment