Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Open My Eyes

Today we are looking deeper into the gimel stanza which contains the verse which might be considered a "theme" for this study....."Open my eyes that I may behold wonderful things from Thy law."

Again I would ask you to note the synonyms for God's Word and their location.....once again we find a synonym for God's Word used at least once in each stanza!

Let's also look at who is mentioned in this stanza.  There is the psalmist (see verses 17, 19, 20, 22).  God is mentioned (the psalmist is speaking to God).  We also have reference to the "arrogant, cursed, wanderers" in verse 21 and the "princes who talk against me" in verse 23.  What do you learn about each of these, and what insights can you gain into the psalmist's life from looking at these verses?

Look also at verse 24..."Thy testimonies are also my delight, they are my counselors."  There are two observations I would like us to consider from this verse.

This is the second time we have seen the word "delight".  (See also verse 16 in the previous stanza - "I shall delight in Thy statutes.")  A different Hebrew word is used here in verse 24 than was used in verse 16, so let's look at those words and see what they tell us.

In verse 16, delight is translated from the Hebrew word saa, meaning to take delight in, referring to taking joy or enjoyment from something, especially God's Word.  (This definition comes from The Complete Word Study Dictionary - Old Testatment).  In verse 24, the Hebrew word translated as delight is the word suiym, a plural noun meaning delight, often describing the delight given to one who follows God's teachings, laws and testimonies.  Webster's Dictionary defines "delight" as "to give great joy or pleasure, to be highly pleased."

You may be wondering why I continue to press this point, why these definitions matter so much.  One reason is that if we are going to apply what the Word says and what learn about it, we need to have an accurate understanding of what it says.  Just to read through and pick out a verse or phrase that sounds good to us or makes us feel good is not sufficient unless we really understand what it means!  So, with these definitions, we are back to the personal application question.......do I take great joy in God's Word, does God's Word bring me great pleasure and joy?  If I have answered "yes" to those questions, then how is that evident in my life?  Just to say that I "delight in God's Word" is insufficient.....there must be an evidence beyond my words!

Finally, focus on the last phrase of verse 24....."(Thy testimonies) are my counselors."  When you need counsel, where do you turn?  Who are your counselors?  Where do we get our advice?

Something to think about......

No comments:

Post a Comment