Friday, March 26, 2010

Considering.....Continued

As I write, it is Friday morning leading into Palm Sunday weekend.  As we look toward Palm Sunday, Holy Week, and the celebration of Resurrection Sunday.  I invite you to join me as we continue to consider our ways, as the psalmist did.  Let's consider/ponder/meditate on our Lord and His ways, on the sacrifice paid at Calvary that purchased our redemption.

As we prepare to celebrate Easter, let's also be preparing to live that celebration every day of our lives.  Let's be preparing to live as the psalmist testified....."to keep Your words", to "turn my feet to Your testimonies," to "keep Your commandments," to give thanks, to be "a companion of those who fear You",  and to be continually praying, "teach me."

Take some time today to read the heth stanza again.  Here are some questions to consider as you read:
  • verse 59 - "I considered my ways and turned my feet to Your testimonies."  What does it mean to turn your feet to God's testimonies?
  • How quick are you to obey God and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit?
  • Is there a correlation between belief and obedience?  We see that the psalmist knew God's Word, considered his ways and then turned his feet to God's ways without delay.  Is this the normal pattern of authentic belief?  Explain your answer.
  • Look at John 3.  What does John say about belief and obedience.
  • Have you ever heard the phrase "delayed obedience is disobedience"?  How about the phrase "partial obedience is disobedience"?  Based on your study today, do you think those are true statements?  Why or why not?
One more thing to consider today......look at verse 63 ("I am a companion of those who fear You.")  Think on that verse as it relates to your own life, but also consider what else the Word of God has to say about the company we keep.  Check out what the Book of Proverbs has to say on the topic and note your findings.  Do you have companions in your life who fear God?  What influences do they have on you?  How do you influence them? 

That's a lot of considering for one day, isn't it??!!  I'm praying today that, as we consider, God will speak to our hearts, show us wonderful things in His Word, show us where our ways are not lined up with His, and I'm praying that as we consider our ways, we will be quick to turn our feet to His testimonies, that we will be prompt in our obedience to what He shows us.

"Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law and keep it with my whole heart." 
(Psalm 119:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment