Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The False Way/The Faithful Way

As we continue our journey through Psalm 119 and the daleth  stanza, today we are looking more closely at the word "way".  This word (in Hebrew, the word is derek) occurs 13 times in the Psalm, and 5 of those occurrences are in this stanza!  The Word Study Dictionary -Old Testament defines the word this way:  a noun meaning path, journey, way, derived from the Hebrew verb darak meaning to walk or to tread, from which the basic idea of the word comes: the path that is traveled.

What we see here is a contrast between two ways, or two paths.....the faithful way (verse 30) and the false way (verse 29).  The contrast is betwen a life lived God's way, according to God's precepts, God's Word, and the false way, which is the opposite.  In many ways, this summarizes everything the psalmist has said up to this point and confirms his choice to follow the faithful way.

The psalmist began by affirming the blessings to those whose way is blameless, who walk in the way of the Lord, who choose the way of God.  He moved on to tell us how to live that kind of life.....by keeping it according to God's Word.  His commitment (verse 15) was to "meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways".  The gimel stanza focused attention on finding true delight and counsel in God's Word.  In verses 29, the psalmist's prayer is "remove the false way from me......I have chosen the faithful way."  Wouldn't you agree that the psalmist's prayer is a good prayer for us as well?  As we face the challenges of life in the 21st century in a culture that is turning its back on God and His ways, we would do well to make this our daily prayer......remove the false way from me.

How do we live in this culture, surrounded as we are by the "false way" and still live the "faithful way"?  I believe the answer is found for us in verse 31....."I cling to your testimonies, O LORD."

The word translated "testimonies" is the Hebrew word edah which means witness.  The psalmist is saying that he clings to words that bear witness of God.....words which testify or bear witness to His character and His ways.  For us, these would be the words of Scripture, the whole counsel of the Word of God.  For us to live life the "faithful way" requires of us that we spend time in, that we "cling to" the Scriptures!

One final thought as we wrap up our time in the daleth stanza.  Note the psalmist's prayers and his commitments.  His requests are:  revive me, teach me, strengthen me.  His commitments are:  I will meditate on Your wonders; I have chosen the faithful way; I have placed Your ordinances before me; I shall run the way of Your commandments.

What does all this have to do with you and me?  Perhaps we should ask ourselves a few questions.....
  • what am I clinging to today?
  • what practical steps can I take today to choose God's way and cling to His testimonies?
  • how can I model this to my childen, my grandchildren, my neighbors, my community?
"I have chosen the faithful way; Ihave placed Your ordinances before me.  I cling to your testimonies."  (Psalm 119:30-31a)

No comments:

Post a Comment