Monday, September 28, 2009

Plateaus

I've learned a lot about plateaus lately. I'm not talking about geographical features. I'm talking about plateaus in the weight-loss sense. Since January, I've been focusing on my weight and getting it back to a healthier level. My weight-loss program of choice is Weight Watchers....a program I can follow for life. But several weeks ago, I hit the dreaded plateau. From the first week of August until last week I lost a total of .4 pounds. That's right.....less than half a pound. Doing the same things I had been doing that helped me lose 30 pounds, yet not getting the same results! Talk about frustrating!! So, last week I made a mental "fresh start", really focusing on the little details that I had gotten sloppy about. Result......this week's weight loss is 2.4 pounds!!! From frustrated to super-excited in just one week!!

I think sometimes we hit spiritual plateaus as well. We go through the same "motions" week after week, but don't feel we are making any progress or that our spiritual lives have become somewhat stale. Perhaps just a small change in routine or a recommitment/refocus will yield benefits in this area as well. It could be something as simple as reading from a different Bible translation or changing the time or place of your devotional time. That could be the little thing that makes a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment