Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!



I confess that I have not made any "resolutions" for the new year. Every "resolution" I ever made was broken almost immediately! So I have given up "resolutions". I have, however, set some goals for the year. As I looked at my goal list, I find many similarities between my goals and many formerly set "resolutions". An example, I have a goal to lose weight this year.....and exactly how much weight is something I prefer not to disclose! The difference is, I have very concrete reasons for wanting to lose this weight......more than just wanting to fit into a particular pair of jeans or look better in that really nice black dress. My reasons have to do with my health, my blood pressure, my cholesterol levels, the pain in my arthritic joints and with with a not-so-very-far-away significant birthday (one with a zero in it, about 18 months from now!). So, beyond just saying I want to lose xx pounds, I have formulated a plan for achieving this desire.....thus it becomes a "goal" rather than a "resolution". I have a target goal, a target date, and specific steps in mind to achieve this goal. All those years as an independent beauty consultant taught me something!



Meanwhile, as I look ahead toward this new year, it's also a good time to look back and reflect on the "good things" of the past year. I'm no David Letterman, so I don't have a Top Ten List, but these are some of the "good things" of 2008 (in completely random order):


  • reconnecting with old friends on Facebook.

  • spending time with my grandchildren and making memories with them.

  • celebrating 36 years of marriage to my very best friend

  • an Alaska cruise in September

  • making new friends

  • being there to celebrate my grandchildren's birthdays

  • watching AJ fishing for the first time with his daddy and his Opa.

  • riding the carousel in the mall with Christopher

  • having all the family...children & their spouses, grandchildren, parents, my brother and his wife.....around for Christmas.

  • the view out my front window (7 mountain ranges!!)

That list could go on indefinitely. I am so blessed. So as I face a new year with its list of goals for all the areas of my life, I'm looking forward to lots of new "good things" and to all that this new year has in store. And today as I sit, I reflect back but I also look forward with great anticipation for all that God will teach me as I sit and wait on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment