Sunday, January 25, 2009

All That Really Matters

I was asked recently to name my most embarrassing moment. Impossible! There are far too many to name, and I'm sure I've forgotten more of them than I actually remember. If I were to begin a list, I would have to start with all the boneheaded things I have ever done. Again, far too many to name, even without considering the things I didn't consider boneheaded at the time or the boneheaded things I don't even remember doing. I would also have to list all the klutzy things I've done, which are also far too numerous to mention. Remember, I'm the one who shattered her ankle just walking the dog. And, it should be noted, that incident was not the dog's fault.....the dog who weighed no more than 8 pounds at the time. I, on the other hand, weigh considerably more!


It occurs to me that many of the things which have embarrassed me over the years have much to do with what I thought other people thought. I have always had a gift for reading between the lines. I am so good at it, in fact, that I read things "between the lines" that aren't even there at all! It further occurs to me that I have spent entirely too much time being concerned with what other people think.


What it boils down to is this: in spite of all the boneheaded and klutzy things I've done, all the things I've said that were tacky, or insensitive, or just plain stupid, what other people think really doesn't matter. (That is not meant to imply that I think it is OK to be tacky or insensitive or rude.) What really matters is what Jesus thinks. What really matters is that my attitudes and actions and my words are pleasing to Him.


"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment