Friday, January 16, 2009

Heroes

This is a post about heroes. It is not a post about the TV show. I have never watched that show and have no idea whether or not the characters are heroic. This post is about my personal heroes, men and women whose character, attitudes and/or actions inspire me.



The first hero I would like to mention is the US Airways pilot who "landed" his plane in the Hudson River yesterday, and who then didn't leave the water-filled plane until he had walked completely through it not once, but twice, to be sure no one was left behind. That pilot is a hero.



I heard President Bush's farewell speech last night. He mentioned a doctor from California who had lost a son in Iraq and who then, at age 60ish (don't remember his exact age, but far older than most men and women who join the armed forces) petitioned to be allowed to serve and is about to deploy to Iraq. That doctor is a hero. He and all the men and women who volunteer to serve in our nation's military are heroes in my book.



Speaking of President Bush, he is someone I admire greatly. While I may not agree with every decision he has made as President, one of the things I admire and respect so much about him is his willingness to make tough decisions without regard to whether or not those decisions will be popular. I thank him for all he has done to protect this country. He's one of my heroes.



I have some heroes a little closer to home, some dear friends who merit the title "hero." So that I won't embarrass them, I won't call them by name, but I will tell you about two in particular who are heroes to me. One dear friend, whom I have known for more than twenty years, suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis as well as diabetes. In spite of the pain that I know she endures, I have never heard one word of complaint from her. In a world of whiners, she is my hero. Another friend is a living example of the Scripture "the joy of the Lord is my strength." She radiates joy! She is one who definitely walks her talk. Again, in spite of some difficult life circumstances, I have never heard anything negative from her......she is truly a "glass half full" kiind of person......a definite hero.



Kay Arthur is my hero. More than twenty years ago I attended my first Precept Upon Precept Bible Study and heard her teach via video. I was hooked! Not only have I learned so much about the Bible from hearing her teach, I have learned how to study the Bible for myself, how to experience the joy of discovery without having to depend on commentaries or Bible teachers. I have learned to let the Bible interpret itself, and to let the Holy Spirit be my Teacher. Thank you, Kay, for this precious gift. You are a hero in my book!



Hebrews, chapter 11, in the Bible is a listing of heroes of the faith, a Hall of Fame of Faith if you will. These men and women who have walked the walk of faith and left their example are heroes. Moving from chapter 11 to chapter 12, we find one of my favorite passages of Scripture:

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses (i.e. the "heroes of chapter 11") surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."



Verse 2....."fixing our eyes on Jesus"......is the goal of my life. You see, Jesus is my Ultimate Hero! And while many may have heroes in this life...celebrities, athletes, etc....and follow their every move, seeking to be just like them, my goal in life is to keep my eyes firmly fixed on Him and to "run with endurance" the race set before me. For all He has done in my life and for all He will do, Jesus is my Hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment