Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day to Celebrate

This is an historic day in America. As one who grew up in the era of separate schools, separate restrooms, separate water fountains, I am proud today that my country has moved past that. I celebrate that we have elected a black President. I celebrate the process of electing a President. I celebrate that we have a peaceful transfer from one presidency to the next. I celebrate being an American.


Barack Obama is now my President. I admit that I did not vote for him. He was not my choice. In fact, my choice was a man named Huckabee! But the election is over and we move on. I am grateful that I live in a country where I am free to express my opinion. I am thankful for all the men and women who have gone before me, who sacrificed so much, who gave their lives for the privilege of this freedom. I thank President and Mrs. Bush for their service. And I commit to pray for President and Mrs. Obama, just as I have prayed for previous presidents and their families. It is my duty to pray for them. It is also my great privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment