Friday, March 20, 2020

Diary of a Pandemic. Social Distancing Week One.

When I first heard about a virus in China, I really didn't think much about it. That was "there" and really didn't have anything to do with "here".


Even as people began to talk about it more, I still thought it didn't have anything to do with "here". With me.


I was wrong. This has touched us all in some way.


I'm not infected. I don't know anyone personally who is infected. Yet we are all affected.


Affected by disruption. By panic. By change. By fear - whether ours or someone else's.


I am not afraid. I am not afraid of getting sick. If I do get sick, either I will get well or I won't. If I get sick, I might die. But I am not afraid of dying.


The virus itself is not what bothers me. What I am more bothered by is the reactions to the virus. The panic buying. The hoarding. The media hype. I am very much a creature of habit, so disruptions to my routines are bothersome. But not impossible to deal with.


Yesterday I sat on my porch and listened to birds singing and felt the gentle breeze as I drank my coffee and began reading a good book. I enjoyed that so very much. Solitude is not always a bad thing.


This week has been a week of focused prayer. For all who have been affected, whether through illness or job loss or fear. Praying for pastors as they lead their congregations through these uncharted waters. Praying for the President and the Task Force. Praying for our country.


I have found myself wondering when - or if - we will ever be "normal" again. And I find myself hoping that when all this is over, we as a society will realize who the really important people - the real heroes - are. Not the professional athletes,  the actors, the professional celebrities. But the health care professionals, the truck drivers bringing food to grocery stores, the grocers, the farmers. Through all this, I hope we can learn that lesson.


We're in a new normal. This week, I'm staying home. Earlier in the week I had a couple of doctor appointments, which I kept. The cardiologist office was almost empty. When we arrived at the eye doctor's office, we had to be pre-screened by answering a health questionnaire. Only after we "passed" were we allowed to check in. As we were checking in, another woman arrived but was sent home when she said she had a cough. As we were leaving, I saw a woman having her temperature checked. Apparently it was ok, because she was allowed to stay.


We made a quick trip to Publix to pick up a few last minute necessities, hoping we would be able to find what we needed (we did). I was very impressed to see that Publix had one employee whose only job was to wipe down each shopping cart when it was returned from the lot, and to be sure that you had a clean, sanitized cart.


Life has been different this week. We're not sure what comes next. How long this will last. What else will change.


Life has changed. But somethings have not.


"For I, the Lord, do not change." (Malachi 3:6 NASB)


And so, I am not afraid.


"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in Thee."
(Isaiah 26:3 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment