Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Celebrating Answered Prayer

Last week we celebrated the birthday of our firstborn son. But it was a celebration of much more than that. It was also a celebration of God's faithfulness. Each year when Brian's birthday comes around I am reminded once again of how God answers prayer.


You see, many years ago I was a young married woman who wanted very much to be a mother. Yet I remained childless. And month after month, as it became obvious that conception had not taken place and no baby was on the way, I became more and more despondent. Doctor's were not optimistic that I would ever conceive. My husband and I longed to be parents, but it seemed that was not going to happen. Doctors recommend we consider adoption.


During this challenging period of my life, I turned to the Scriptures and became very familiar with the story of Hannah. I had been familiar with Hannah since childhood, but back then my focus had always been on Samuel, the son God blessed Hannah with. As I think back on it now, perhaps we should have given Brian a different name - Samuel.


In 1 Samuel we read these words: "She (Hannah) was deeply distressed and prayed to the Lord and wept bitterly." (1 Samuel 1:10 ESV)

I related to Hannah. I was distressed. I wept bitterly. I prayed. Oh, how I prayed!


Even so, months passed and no baby was on the way. So I began to pray Hannah's prayer.


"O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the afflictions of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life." (1 Samuel 1:11 ESV)


That was my prayer. While I may not have prayed those exact words, that was the prayer of my heart. And just as He did for Hannah, God heard my prayer and answered. Just as we were about to initiate adoption proceedings, we learned that God had answered my prayer! Several months later, a few weeks ahead of schedule, I gave birth to a son! And a few years after that, our second son was born.


When Brian was born, I prayed Hannah's prayer again. This time it was a prayer of thanksgiving. And I prayed it again three years later when Brandon was born.


"For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me the petition that I made to Him. My heart exults in the LORD." (1 Samuel 1:27; 1 Samuel 2:1 ESV)


Hannah's story, and mine, taught me a few life lessons. First and foremost, I learned that God is sovereign. I learned that God is in control. Doctor's are wonderful, but they don't have all the answers. They are, after all, only human. (Perhaps that's a life lesson we could also apply to the current corona virus situation.)


This experience continues to remind me that God hears and answers prayer. The answer may not always be what we want or expect, although in this case, for me, it certainly was. But even if the answer is different than what we hope for or expect, God always answers our prayers. And His answers are always best. Because He is God.


Another life lesson from this experience is persistence. I learned to keep on praying. To never give up. My prayer wasn't answered the first time I prayed it. Or the second. I prayed for months. I continued to pray. I prayed without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). My answer came after I continued to pray, not knowing when the answer would come, but knowing and believing that God would answer.


Through it all, I learned a lot about the character of God. About His faithfulness. About His love. About His sovereignty. About His trustworthiness. These are lessons I have never forgotten. Now that I am no longer a young woman, these lessons remain core beliefs for my life. God is sovereign. God answers prayer. God's ways are always best. God's timing is always perfect. God can be trusted.


My sons are now grown men with sons of their own. Every time I look at them, and every time I celebrate their birthdays, I are minded once again that God answer's prayer.



















No comments:

Post a Comment