Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Thinking About Flood Gates

As the rain continued to fall on Sunday and as the water level in Lake Murray rose above flood stage, the decision was made to open the flood gates. 

Yesterday afternoon the sun began to shine here in Spartanburg, for the first time in several days.  As I was giving thanks for the sun, I was also giving thanks for so many other things as well.  That we were safe here in our home during the storm.  That we had no damage.  That family members in Columbia, where things were far worse than here, were safe during the storm.

I was giving thanks for our safety, but also grieving for those around our state who have lost so much.  Heartbroken over the loss of life, and over the damage to my beautiful state.  Praying for those without power and without drinking water.  Praying for those whose homes are filled with water. 

As I continue to see the pictures of the devastation around the state, I am weeping.  And praying.  Praying for all who are suffering.  Praying for first responders and for linemen and for all who are out there helping those in need.  Praying for our Governor and for all the decisions she must make. 

In the midst of all that, my thoughts keep returning to those flood gates.  And I am reminded of a line from an old hymn.  It's one of those old hymns we don't sing very much any more. 

Lord, send the old-time power, the Pentecostal power!
Thy floodgates of blessing on us throw open wide!
(from "Pentecostal Power" by Charles H. Gabriel)
 
 
Floodgates of blessing! 
 
How we need those floodgates of blessing today!  In our communities.  In South Carolina.  In the United States of America.
 
Oh, that we who are God's people would cry out to Him on behalf of our families and our communities and our nation for those floodgates to be opened.
 
Not because we deserve it, because we don't.
 
But because of His great mercy.
 
Lord, have mercy on us.  We are a sinful people.  We have turned our back on you.   Forgive us.  Forgive our sin.  Heal our land.  Have mercy on us, we pray. 
 
 
"If my people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  (2 Chronicles 7:14 NASB)
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment