Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Song of Thanksgiving



"Let all things now living a song of thanksgiving
To God the Creator triumphantly raise,
Who fashioned and made us, protected and stayed us,
Who guideth us on to the end of our days.
His banners are o'er us, His light goes before us,
A pillar of fire shining forth in the night,
'Til shadows have vanished and darkness is banished,
As forward we travel from light into light.

His law He enforces, the stars in their courses,
The sun in His orbit, obediently shine.
The hills and the mountains, the rivers and fountains,
The deeps of the ocean proclaim Him Divine.
We too should be voicing our love and rejoicing,
With glad adoration a song let us raise,
'Til all things now living unite in thanksgiving
To God in the highest, hosanna and praise!
                                                                              -Katherine K. Davis
 

 
Those are the words to a hymn titled "Let All Things Now Living", written by Katherine K. Davis and typically sung to a traditional Welsh melody.  It's one of those hymns we don't sing in church any more, which makes me a bit sad.  And before you get jump to a wrong conclusion, that was not an anti-new-music statement. I'm not anti-new-music as much as I am anti-ignoring older music! Much of what we hear and sing in our churches these days that would be classified as "new" or "contemporary" is music that I like very much.  But I don't like all of it. Not all of it is good.  Some of it is just new.  Some of it I don't like.  It's a personal-preference-thing.  But that isn't my point.
 
I was thinking about this song this morning. Not because we have sung it recently; we haven't.  We sing some wonderful music in our church.......new songs, old songs, the great hymns of our faith.  This particular hymn hasn't been sung recently; in fact, I can't even remember the last time I sang this hymn in a church setting!  Rather, it has been called up from deep in the recesses of my memory.  It's a catchy tune, but it's the text that has my attention.
 
Perhaps it's because I'm not as young as I used to be!  Perhaps it's because of the flooding here in my home state.  Or perhaps there is some other reason.  In any event, I am becoming more and more aware of how much I take for granted.  How often I forget to say "thank you". It's not that I'm ungrateful.  Forgetful, yes.  A little scatter-brained sometimes.  Distracted.  But not ungrateful. 
 
Today is a perfect day for a "Song of Thanksgiving"! On this beautiful morning, as the sun peeks through the trees behind my house,  I have so many reasons for thanksgiving.  Certainly the beauty of the world around me is one of those reasons. This is a beautiful morning, in a beautiful season of the year.  I love this season of the year, this season  when we have so many scenes like this one to look forward to:
 
 
 

But there are many, many reasons for thanksgiving this morning beyond just the beauty of the season.  Even as I see photo after photo of the devastation caused by flooding here in South Carolina, I am also seeing photo after photo of neighbors helping each other.  Of strangers helping strangers.  Of donations of water and food and supplies.  Of people opening their homes to those in need. It makes me proud to be a South Carolinian.  Proud, and so thankful to call South Carolina home.  My heart is overwhelmed with thanksgiving for all the ways people are reaching out to help those in need. 
 
In addition to all that, I'm thankful for dear friends. For the best husband ever! For my family.  For my church family.  For my pastor.  For our home.  For my health.
 
And I am so very thankful for the privilege of prayer.  Thankful that God hears and answers.  Thankful for all those times when I utter a prayer with a very specific request, and within just a few minutes, I have my answer!  And I am also thankful for all the times when the answer doesn't come as quickly, because it is in those times I learn about waiting and trusting and depending on the Lord.
  
I am beyond grateful for a Sovereign Lord.  One who knows me best and loves me most.  One who has all things under control.
 
And so to Him today I am singing my song of thanksgiving!

"My heart overflows with a good theme."  (Psalm 45:1 NASB)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment