Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Best and the Worst - Part 2

Yesterday I began a series of posts based on the opening line from Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.  Dickens' words are an apt description of our recent road trip around the country.  It was indeed the best and the worst of times.

In an attempt to answer the what was your favorite? question that I have been asked so often since we have returned home, I'm calling up a few memories from the trip.  Yesterday's post focused on my most favorite thing about the trip - time with friends.

Today I'm going in a different direction.  Today I'm thinking about food.  We ate some really great food while we were away, and we ate some pretty ordinary food as well.  If you followed the journey through previous blog posts, then you already know about some of the deliciousness we experienced.  You've already heard about the delicious salmon we ate in Texas, and the halibut from The Original Fish Company in southern California.

I'm sure I already mentioned Montana Meatloaf as well, but let me just tell you about it again. That meal in Bozeman, Montana was one of the very best of the entire trip.  This meatloaf was like no other I had ever eaten.  Definitely not your granny's meatloaf!  This particular meatloaf was a combination of beef, bison, and pork, all locally sourced, free-range meats.  It was spectacular!  Taste, texture, appearance, everything about it was fantastic. That meatloaf is worth a trip to Bozeman!  It's that good!  And I say that as someone who is not a big fan of meatloaf.

We had a delicious bison rib eye steak in Cheyenne.  Some great Mexican food in Colorado.  Some of the best barbecue I've ever eaten in Kansas City, along with some delicious Italian food in Kansas City as well.  No, not at the same restaurant!

Barbecue prime rib in Kansas City.  Chicken Spedini in Kansas City.  Parmesan Crusted Walleye in Chicago.  Barbecue Brisket Sandwich in Shipshewana, Indiana.  Lobster Ravioli in Woodbridge, New Jersey.  Those are just a few of the favorite meals.

One of the tastiest bites of the trip came on the morning we were leaving Miami.  It was early, too early for the hotel restaurant to be open.  It was dark and pouring rain.  We stopped for fuel before getting on the road.  We got our breakfast at that gas station.  That guava pastry was one of the most delicious things I put in my mouth in the entire three months!

There you have it.  A very brief listing of some of the very best of the foods we ate on the trip.  Obviously we ate well while we traveled, since my jeans are a little tighter than they were when we left!

But it was worth every bite!


"For food and all the gifts of love, we give Thee thanks and praise.
Look down, O Father, from above, and bless us all our days.  Amen."
(-author unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment