Thursday, October 1, 2015

If They Could See Us Now

Grandmother Neil, my mother's mother, was one of the people I admired most in this life.  And if I were to list the people who had the most influence on my life, she would be very near the top of that list.  Today is the anniversary of her passing into eternity, into the presence of the Lord she loved so much and served so well while here on earth. 

I don't always note the anniversary of her passing, but somehow today it is very present in my mind and heart.  Perhaps it's the passing of my DIL's grandmother last week that has me remembering my own grandmother.  Perhaps it's that Al's mom, my sons' grandmother, has been having a rough week.  Or perhaps it's something else.  Whatever the reason, today I'm remembering Grandmother Neil.  Stern, yet gentle.  Strong-willed.  Determined.  Those are adjectives that come to mind when I think of her.  Most of all, I think of her as a Godly woman.  A woman who did not compromise when it came to matters of faith.  A woman who knew the Scriptures well.  A woman who didn't just talk the talk, but walked the walk.

Grandmother had a favorite hymn.  She was always singing or humming or whistling that hymn throughout the day. 

"Thou, my everlasting portion, more than friend or life to me;
All along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with Thee."
(words by Fanny J. Crosby)
 
 
Today marks the anniversary of the day Grandmother Neil left this life to walk forever in eternity with her Savior and Lord.
 
This week marks the passing of another great saint, George Whitfield.  I was reminded by an e-mail yesterday of the anniversary of Whitfield's passing on September 30, 1770.  If Whitfield is not someone you have thought about much lately, let me refresh your memory.  Whitfield was one of the best-known preachers in England, where he was born,  and in North America, during the 18th century.  Whitfield left England to come to America, where he preached a series of revivals that were a part of what we have come to know as the Great Awakening.
 
Whitfield said, "God forbid that I should travel with anybody a quarter of an hour without speaking of Christ to them."
 
Whitfield said, "As Christ was born of the Virgin's womb, so must He be spiritually formed in our hearts.  As He died for sin, so must we die to sin.  And as He rose again from the dead, so must we also rise to a divine life."
 
Nearly 250 years have passed since Whitfield left this world.  If he could see what we have become, I wonder what he would think.
 
More than 40 years have passed since Grandmother Neil left this world.  If she could see what we have become, I wonder what she would think.
 
I don't think either of them would be pleased.  George Whitfield and Grandmother Neil are two examples of people with a hunger and thirst for the things of God.  That hunger and thirst is missing in our world today, even among those who call themselves Christian. 
 
How far we have fallen since the days of George Whitfield.  Even since the days of Grandmother Neil.
 
Oh, that once again we might live in such pure devotion to Christ!  That I might live in such pure devotion to Christ!

 Send a revival, O Christ, my Lord,
Let it go over the land and sea.
Send it according to Thy dear Word,
And let it begin in me.
(-B.B. McKinney)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment