Friday, July 3, 2015

Yes

Yes is such a positive word, isn't it?  I have begun my day today with that kind of yes.  I'm looking forward to the day ahead, planning out my very long list of to-dos.

Yes is also a radical word.  In her book Twirl, Patsy Clairmont describes yes this way.  (You should  read the book to see what I mean!)

Yes is a positive word, but my focus today is on yes as a radical word.  As in, what would it mean if we really said yes to God?  If we really said yes to all that He calls us to do and to be?  How different would our lives be?  How different would our world look?

My Bible reading had me in the Old Testament book of Ezekiel again this morning, so I'm thinking about yes in terms of what I have been reading there. And I'm challenging you to do the same. Think about yes in light of these words of the Lord to the prophet Ezekiel:
“So you, son of man, I have made you a watchman.”  (Ezekiel 33:7 ESV)
What does a watchman do?  What is a watchman’s job?
A watchman, in Ezekiel’s day, stood on the walls of the city, alert for danger.  When he became aware of a threat, he blew a trumpet and sounded an alarm.
Ezekiel was called to be a watchman.  And I believe you and I are called to be the same.  To blow the trumpet.  To sound the alarm.
Our nation is in serious trouble.  We have lost our moral compass, and as a result, we have lost our way. 
The solution to our problems is neither republican nor democrat.  It is not libertarian or tea party.  The solution is not about politics at all.  The solution to our problems is not found in the Supreme Court.  (Some would perhaps argue that the Court is the source, rather than the solution, for many of our problems!) 
God did not call Ezekiel to politics; He called Ezekiel to warn people of the judgment to come.
I believe He is calling us to do the same.  He is calling us to be watchmen.  He is calling us to stand up for Him. He is calling us to sound the alarm. For such a time as this.
Will you say yes?
 
“If My people, who are called by My name, humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”  (2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV)
“Blow a trumpet……sound an alarm……for the day of the LORD is coming; it is near.”  (Joel 2:2 ESV)
“The hour has come for you to wake from sleep.  For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.”  (Romans 13:11 ESV)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment