Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Won't You Get Bored?

Before we set out on this trip around the country, I was often asked that question.  Won't you get bored?

My answer was always some (polite, I hope!) form of No, I won't!

For starters, I was born with a travel gene, if there is such a thing.  I love to travel.  I love seeing new faces and new places, trying new foods and experiencing new things.  So for those reasons alone, this trip around the country is perfect.

Of course, because this is essentially a very long business trip, there won't always be opportunities to see and experience all the new and different things there are along the way.  But so far, we have seen and done a lot.  And we are only a little more than a week into this adventure.

I had some much-needed down time one of our days in Atlanta.  After the packing and unpacking and packing again, that was a welcome change of pace.  We had a wonderful time seeing friends in Nashville, and a wonderful time of worship on Sunday in Jackson.  We've had some delicious food and seen some beautiful countryside.  It's only a fraction of what this vast nation has to offer.  So, am I bored?  In a word, no.

One of the things I'm delighting in during the times Al is in class is catching up on some reading.  My Kindle is loaded up, and I brought a number of books with me as well.  During the last few months of packing and unpacking, there hasn't been nearly enough time for books!  I hear the aren't you bored? question a lot when books come into the conversation, and it makes me so sad!  How could anyone be bored with reading?  It's something I can't even begin to fathom.  My only thought is that they are doing it wrong, or they haven't yet found the right book!

Reading is definitely one of my passions.  Bible study is another.  And again, when it comes to the Scriptures, I am saddened at how often I hear that question.  Isn't it boring?  Again, I have the same answer.  No.  And again, I think that those who are bored by the study of God's Word just must not be doing it right!

That's a topic for another day.  Right now, after a wonderful morning sitting outdoors with my Bible, and later with my lunch, and then some (less pleasant) time in the gym, a book is calling my name!

"O how I love your law!  It is my meditation all the day."  (Psalm 119:97 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment