Friday, July 24, 2015

Some Days

This trip around the country is a phenomenal opportunity, and most days I'm enjoying it very much.  But then there are the other days.  Some days, like today, I find myself missing home.

Missing my friends.  Missing my church.  Missing my dog.  Missing my coffee maker (although I confess that I am traveling with my own mini-Keurig!).  Missing my own chair.  Especially since here in Cypress, California, this is what I have to sit in:


And this particular chair is incredibly uncomfortable.

Some days I find myself checking the calendar to see how much longer before we are "home".  Today is one of those days.

I feel incredibly blessed to be making this trip.  And I am really enjoying seeing so many different parts of the country.  Even so, there's a longing for home.

There's a sense in which that is a picture of life.  We who are believers in Christ still live in this world.  We enjoy the sights and sounds and experiences that are part of life.  Even so, there's a longing for "home". 

And as we observe current events and as we read the Scriptures, we may find ourselves looking at the calendar and wondering how much longer.

Until we are finally home.

Some days I think about that a lot.  Today is one of those days.
 
"This world is not my home; I'm just a-passin' through.
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue."
(Brumley)
 
 
"I go to prepare a place for you.  If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."  (John 14:2b-3 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment