Monday, January 19, 2015

Listening to the Wind. Monday Morning Musings.

As a child, did you memorize that Christina Rosetti poem Who Has Seen the Wind?  I learned it many, many years ago, and can't get it out of my head this morning! 

 
 
Who has seen the wind?  Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling, The wind is passing through.
 
Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads, The wind is passing by.

I haven't seen the wind, but I've certainly been listening to it.  Up here on this mountaintop, windy days are a fairly common occurrence, but this has been an unusually windy weekend.  And the wind continues this morning.  So, although I can't see the wind, I can certainly hear it!

As I've listened to the sounds of the wind howling, I wonder if this might be what it sounded like as the Holy Spirit came down from heaven on the day of Pentecost.

When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.  And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind."  (Acts 2:1-2 ESV)

I have often had occasion to wonder about that, since it is very often very windy up here!

As I listen to the wind continue to howl this morning,  I'm reminded of a song lyric and wondering if this might be how it would be to "hear the sound of a mighty rushing wind, and it's closer now than it's ever been...I can almost hear the trumpet....."

We're drawing ever closer to that day.  Will we hear the wind blow when that trumpet sounds?  I don't know.  But it's something to think about on a windy Monday morning.


"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord."  (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 NASB)


Listen to The Midnight Cry here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaW9Z8Kfyh0

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment