Monday, May 6, 2013

Water, Water, Everywhere

Even if you have never heard of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, you have probably heard at least a snippet of his poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".........."water, water, everywhere, nor any a drop to drink."

That line has been on my mind all morning.  The rain has finally stopped, although the sky looks as though it could begin again at any minute.  There are a couple of bright patches in the sky.  No blue, but at least the sky is a little brighter.

We have had more than six inches of rain since Saturday night.  That's more rain than we had in the entire year 2007!!!  I'm thinking of trading in my car and getting a boat.

The peaceful stream that meanders its way down the mountain just across the road from our house is anything but peaceful this morning.  It sounds like a mighty rushing river!

The front porch is soaked.  We have puddles in the driveway in places where we have never had puddles before.  The retaining wall behind our house has sprung a leak and water is pouring out. 

This morning, I'm praying that the rain stops.  I'm praying that there are no more leaks in the retaining wall.  I'm praying the retaining wall holds.

I'm giving thanks there are no leaks in the roof!  I'm giving thanks for a warm, dry house!

I'm remembering those drought years, remembering the times the spring dried up, and giving thanks that we probably don't have to worry about that any more! At least not any time soon.

I'm thankful for water, although right now I find myself wishing we didn't have to get it all at once.  It would be OK with me if we could just spread it out a little! 

But I'm not in charge of weather!

Right now, I'm thinking of building an ark!

"The earth is the LORD's and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein, for he has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers."  (Psalm 24:1 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment