Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is something of a mixed bag for me.  On the one hand, it's an opportunity to remember my Mother, to remember the great joy and love I felt for her, to remember her selfless devotion to her family and to her Lord, and to recall wonderful times together. 

On the other hand, it's a bit of a sad time.  Even though Mother has been gone from this world for almost thirteen years, I still miss her so very much.  Mother's Day shines a spotlight on the hole that is in my life since she has been gone.  My mother and her mother, my Grandmother Neil, were two of the most influential women in my life, and I miss them both so very much.

Mother's Day is not only a day to remember my own mother, but also to celebrate my motherhood.  Because my sons and I live a distance from each other, it is not often that I get to share this day with them.  Even so, Mother's Day is a time to celebrate.  To be thankful for the gift of being a mother.  To be thankful for my sons.  To be thankful for the "daughters" they brought into my life, and to be thankful for my grandsons.  What precious gifts, what blessings, they all are to me!

One of my favorite things to do on Mother's Day is just to stop and thank God for the joy and privilege of being a mother.  It's a time to pray for my sons and for their families.  It's always my joy to do that, but especially so on this special day.

I always wanted to be a mom!  I can't remember anything I ever wanted more!  And although there was a time it seemed my dream of motherhood would not be fulfilled, I am so very grateful to God that He heard and answered my prayers!  Being a mother has been one of the greatest joys and blessings of my life!

Did I always get it right?  No!  There were times I lost my temper.  Times I said things I wish I could take back.  There were grumpy mornings and frustrations and bad decisions.  Times I said "no" when I should have said "yes".  Times I said "yes" when I wish I had said "no".  I made my share of mistakes as a parent.  But as I look at my sons now, and the fine young men they have turned out to be, I think I must have done at least a few things right!

On this Mother's Day, I am thankful.  Thankful for the privilege of motherhood.  Thankful for the heritage of godly women who went before me and set an example.  Thankful for my sons.

I'm thankful to be a mom!


"For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition."  (1 Samuel 1:27 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment