Monday, May 20, 2013

Reflecting on the Weekend

How was your weekend?  What did you do? How did you spend your time?  Maybe at the beach.  Or at a baseball game.  With family.  Or friends.  At the mall.  At church.

I spent my weekend alone, since hubby is still out of town.  I'm looking forward to his return tomorrow.  When he's traveling, weekends are typically the hardest.  I have missed him over this last week and I missed him over the weekend.  But at the same time I have to say that I had a really good weekend.

I was alone.  But I enjoyed the solitude.  Time to read.  Time to study.  Time to think.  Time to reflect.

I wouldn't want to live this way (alone) all the time, but these occasional periods of solitude are profitable.  In fact, it's something I highly recommend.  Time alone.  Not to nap or to watch TV or to work on a project.  But time alone with God.

There are a lot of things I could have done over the weekend.  I could have cleaned house.  I could have done laundry.  I could have worked on my grout-cleaning project (the one that never seems to end!).  I could have organized closets. 

But I didn't.

I chose instead to read and to spend extra time in Bible study.  I chose to spend extra time time in prayer and meditation and reflection on what I had studied and how to apply it to my life.

Yes, I spent some time on Facebook.  And yes, I watched a little TV.  And I talked on the phone a little.

But that time alone was the profitable part of my weekend.

The time when I shut out all the distractions of life and focused on what was really important.

I'm looking forward to seeing hubby tomorrow.  But I'm also thankful that I had this time alone.  It was a good weekend.

 
 
"Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known."  (Jeremiah 33:3 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment