Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Interruptions

A lesson from the Lord can come at some unexpected times.  That happened to me yesterday as I was watching a Mark Lowry comedy routine on YouTube!

As Mark was sharing some recent happenings in his life, including a broken femur earlier this year and a motorcycle accident a few years ago, he shared something that Gloria Gaither had said to him not long ago.  Gloria said to Mark:  "God is in the interruptions of life."  What Gloria was saying is that God doesn't work in our lives according to our plans or according to our date books, but according to His.

Mark went on to share what he had learned from God and about God during the interruptions of his life (broken femur, motorcycle accident, his mom's dementia, to name a few).  Eventually I stopped watching the video and began to think about how I have seen God in the "interruptions" of my life.

Interruptions like a broken ankle.  Or my husband's job loss.  Or the loss of my parents.  Illnesses.  Moving.  My mother-in-law's Alzheimer's Disease.  And the list could go on.  Interruptions come in all shapes and sizes.

Most recently, life has been interrupted by kidney disease.  Last week I got the official diagnosis, after another in a series of not-normal blood work results.  It seems that nearly 30 years of arthritis medications combined with nearly 30 years of high blood pressure have conspired together to cause my kidneys not to work as they should.

As I heard the news from my nephrologist last week, I was pretty calm.  She explained what she believed to be the cause of the problem and suggested I see a rheumatologist so that the arthritis meds could be changed to something that might not do so much harm to my kidneys.  I have not been under the care of a rheumatologist since we left Florida, but agreed with Dr. Cross that this was a good idea.  Meanwhile, she ordered a kidney ultrasound, which I had last Wednesday, which revealed no tumors or obstructions.  That was good news.  So I was still pretty calm about the whole situation.  I was just waiting for the rheumatologist appointment so I could get the arthritis meds changed.

The bad news came on Thursday.  The nephrologist's office called to let me know they had been trying to get my referral appointment scheduled, but that none of the rheumatologists in Asheville would take my insurance.  We finally got an appointment with a rheumatologist in Kingsport, TN, but they have no openings until August 15!  That was more of an interruption than I could deal with!!!

Knowing that if I continue with the current medication, my kidneys will likely get worse, but that if I take less of the arthritis medication (as the nephrologist recommended) my chronic pain level will dramatically increase, and that nothing can be done to give me a better choice until August 15.......all that was more than I could handle.  So, I just fell apart.  I cried until I had no more tears to cry.

On Friday, in the middle of my extended pity party, I read a status on Facebook that changed my outlook.  God interrupted my pity party......on Facebook, of all places!

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you." (Isaiah 41:10 ESV, emphasis mine)

I am a long, long way from being able to say I'm thankful for kidney disease.  But I am very thankful for the lessons I am learning through this "interruption".

What about you?  What are the "interruptions" in your life?  We all have them.  We don't all have same "interruptions", but we all definitely find our lives "interrupted" from time to time.  Even though our stories are different, we will all have to deal with "interruptions" in our lives, things that aren't exactly according to our plan.

I was hesitant to share this episode of my life, in part because I didn't want it to come across as a "feel sorry for Susan" story.  But I feel compelled to share it because of how God is working in my life through this "interruption".  And I'm sure He will do the same for you in your "interruption", whatever it may be.

Over the last few days I have come to view this "interruption" as an "opportunity".  An opportunity to get to know God better.  An opportunity to watch Him work.  An opportunity to trust Him more.  An opportunity to see how He will use this "interruption" for my good and for His glory.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  (Romans 8:28 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment