Monday, November 19, 2012

Not Afraid

I wish I could count how many times I was asked the same question yesterday.  The question was "aren't you afraid?" and my answer was always the same.  No, I'm not afraid.

The questioners were referring to our planned trip to Israel.  We're scheduled to leave next Monday.  As of this writing, the trip is still on.  Of course, as situations  warrant, that plan could change.  But right now, we're still planning to go and I'm really excited about the trip.

I can understand the skepticism and the nervousness about going into a country where bombs are going off on a regular basis.  But I'm being completely honest when I say I'm not afraid. 

Now, before you get an entirely wrong impression and think I'm some kind of wonder woman who has no fears, let me correct that assumption.  There are, in fact, a number of things I'm afraid of.  Like bears on the front porch.  And coyotes.  And snakes.

And there are lots of things that cause me at least some degree of anxiety.  Like dental procedures.  And anything that involves an IV.

But I really am remarkably calm about this trip.  For one thing, bombs going off in Israel is not a new thing.  Residents of southern Israel and of the Gaza strip have been dealing with this on a regular basis for quite some time.  Certainly events have escalated in the last week.  But it really isn't anything new. 

If we don't make the trip I'll be terribly disappointed.  Yes, I've been there before but I very much want to go again.  That decision is out of my hands and will be made by my pastor, the tour company, and the people they are working with in Israel.  Whatever happens, I trust them to make the right decision.

Last week as events began to escalate and the reality that we might not make the trip began to sink in, I was reading in the Psalms.  My reading plan for the day took me to Psalm 46.  I've been holding on to that Psalm in the days since, praying the words of that Psalm as I await a decision.  These are the words that are bringing me comfort and calm.  Perhaps they will do the same for you in whatever situation might be causing you anxiety today.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea.......
Come, behold the works of the LORD.......He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth.......
Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  (Psalm 46:1-2, 8a, 9a, 10 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment