Tuesday, November 6, 2012

And We're Not!

As you looked at that title, you may have wondered what in the world this post is about.  So let me enlighten you.  Around here a recurring phrase lately has been "God is God, and we are not."

I had a rather lengthy to-do list for today, which included a trip to town.  But it's snowing, so my trip to town is cancelled and my agenda for the day is now adjusted.  Snow was not part of my plan for the day.  But God is in charge of the weather, and I am not.  God is God, and I am not.

Over the years we have had a problem with our water supply.  From time to time our spring has dried up and we have been left without water.  About a year ago, we thought the problem had been solved.  The solution involved a back-up well from which water is pumped into our reservoir as needed.  A recent electric bill was was more than $300 instead of the usual $10, which revealed a problem with this system and that some repairs were needed.  So, until repairs are completed, every time we get in the shower or use the washing machine or dishwasher, there's that nagging little thought in the back of our minds.......is this the day we run out of water?  Once again, this is something over which we have no control.  It's another area where we just have to trust God to supply our need.  That's what He has promised to do.  And He is God, and we are not.

Today is election day in our country.  Fortunately, since it's snowing and getting down off this mountain is therefore a rather tricky proposition, we voted early.  Like many Americans, I am weary of political rhetoric and endless political commercials.  Like most Americans, I have a preferred candidate for President, as well as for other state and local offices.   I am grateful for the privilege of voting.  I am saddened that so many of our citizens don't vote.  Like many Americans, I am praying for my country and for this election. And no matter the outcome of this election, the fact remains that God is a sovereign God.  That He is in control.  That He is God and I am not.

And in every circumstance, that brings me great comfort.


"The Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind, and bestows on it whomever He wishes."  (Daniel 4:25 NASB)

"For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation, and all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What has Thou done?' " .  (Daniel 4:34-35 NASB)





No comments:

Post a Comment