Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Some Encouragment from the Calendar



This calendar in my kitchen window is a great source of encouragement to me.  Every morning, I flip the page to the new day and a new passage of Scripture.  It's as much a part of my morning routine as my coffee!



The calendar lets me know what day it is.  That in itself is not particularly encouraging.  Except for today, which is Brandon and Stephanie's 14th wedding anniversary.  That's a good thing.

Otherwise, this calendar tells me that time is passing by very quickly.  We're in mid-July.  Or so the calendar says!  Since our temperatures haven't been any higher than mid-sixties for several days, it's hard to realize it's July. 

The days are passing quickly.  Which means that fall and winter are not far away.  And that is not at all encouraging!

The Scripture references on the calendar are what I find so encouraging.  As I read each day's passage, and as I pray those verses back to the Lord, I receive a blessing and encouragement for the day ahead, no matter what is going on in my life or in the world around me.

Consider these examples from the last few days:

"With Your very own hands You formed me; now breathe Your wisdom over me so I can understand You."  (Psalm 119:173 The Message)

"The Lord God is a sun and shield.....no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless."  (Psalm 84:11 NIV)

"Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountain!  For the Lord comforts His people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones."  (Isaiah 49:13 NIV)

Father, thank You that You formed me with Your very own hands.  Thank You that I can understand You as You breathe Your wisdom over me.  I praise You that You are my sun and my shield, and I thank You that You provide all I need, withholding nothing that is good for me.  May my walk be blameless before You.  I join with the heavens and the earth in shouting for joy before You.  I thank You and praise You for Your comfort and compassion. Amen

It's a wonderful way to start the day!  You should try it.  These perpetual calendars are readily available.  If you don't already have one, get one and put it in your kitchen window or on your desk or your bathroom vanity.  Wherever you can see it as you start your day.  I promise you'll be glad you did!  Especially when you read a verse like this one.....

[And God said] "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."  (Isaiah 49:16 NASB)




No comments:

Post a Comment