Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Good Choice

After several busier-than-normal days, I gave myself the day off yesterday!  My day was off to a very slow start yesterday anyway, and as I eased into the day, I made a decision to just take it easy for the rest of the day.  Sort of like a mini-staycation in the middle of the week.

It was a very quiet day here on my mountaintop.  The only sounds were birds singing and the occasional tinkling of the wind chime.  The phone didn't even ring until late in the day.  Al was out of town so there was no one to talk to, and Molly didn't bark at anything all day.  It was a very quiet, peaceful day.

We need those from time to time, don't we?  The world we live in is full of noise and chaos.  Full of busyness.  Full of do this and go there.

What our world doesn't have a lot of is quiet.  Our busyness doesn't allow for a lot of down time.  Our hectic lifestyles don't allow much time for rest. But rest is necessary.  For our bodies.  And for our minds and our souls.

Yesterday I gave myself permission to rest.  That is not to say that I spent an entire day doing nothing.  I did a little laundry.  I did a little decluttering.  But I didn't rush to get it done so I could rush on to the next thing. 

It was a slow, peaceful day.  I finished one book and began another.  I sat on the porch and enjoyed the cooler-than-normal temperatures.  I had no agenda. I relaxed.  I rested. 

Here in the middle of summer, I gave myself permission to rest.  To enjoy the quiet.  To be still. To "cease striving and know that I am God."  (Psalm 46:10 NASB)

That was the very best part of the day.  Being still.  Knowing that He is God.  Spending time with Him.  In His Word.  In prayer.  It was a precious time.

I'm glad I gave myself permission to rest yesterday.  It was a good choice.

"Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him."  (Psalm 37:7a NASB)









No comments:

Post a Comment