Monday, July 7, 2014

Saying Yes

Yes is a radical word.  So says Patsy Clairmont in her latest book Twirl, which I read while we were at the beach.  Since we returned home, I’ve begun re-reading the book, this time taking one chapter at a time over several days to really ponder the truths she writes about.  This morning I began chapter 2, entitled simply Yes.

Patsy describes yes as a radical word.  (You should just read the book to see what I mean!) But yes is also a positive word, isn’t it?   I began my day today with that kind of yes attitude, looking forward to the day ahead, planning out my very long list of to-dos.  But the yes-ness took a hit early on when I discovered the internet was down (again!).
Isn’t it amazing how an interruption to our routine can affect our attitude!
Yes is a positive word, but my focus today is on yes as a radical word.  As in, what would it mean if we really said yes to God?  If we really said yes to all that He calls us to do and to be?  How different would our lives be?  How different would our world look?
I’ve been thinking about that specifically as it relates to our Life Group lesson yesterday morning in Ezekiel. 
“So you, son of man, I have made a watchman.”  (Ezekiel 33:7 ESV)
What does a watchman do?  What is a watchman’s job?
A watchman, in Ezekiel’s day, stood on the walls of the city, alert for danger.  When he became aware of a threat, he blew a trumpet and sounded an alarm.
Ezekiel was called to be a watchman.  And I believe you and I are called to be the same.  To blow the trumpet.  To sound the alarm.
Our nation is in serious trouble.  We have lost our moral compass, and as a result, we have lost our way. 
The solution to our problems is neither republican nor democrat.  It is not libertarian or tea party.  The solution is not about politics at all.  God did not call Ezekiel to politics; He called Ezekiel to warn people of the judgment to come.
I believe He is calling us to do the same.  He is calling us to be watchmen.  He is calling us to stand up for Him.  For such a time as this.
Will you say yes?
 
“If My people, who are called by My name, humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”  (2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV)
“Blow a trumpet……sound an alarm……for the day of the LORD is coming; it is near.”  (Joel 2:2 ESV)
“The hour has come for you to wake from sleep.  For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.”  (Romans 13:11 ESV)
 

1 comment:

  1. Didn't you love "Twirl"? We have our summer book club tonight and I'm on my second reading as well. Your blog was a great challenge for all of to say, "Yes!" to God and His purpose for our lives.

    ReplyDelete