Saturday, November 2, 2019

A Song of Thanksgiving

I haven't posted anything in a while. There's no particular reason for that. I just got out of the habit. And like so many other things, one you get out of the habit, it's hard to get the habit back. Once you ignore healthy eating for a few days, it's hard to bet back in the habit. Once you skip church for a few Sundays, it's hard to get back in the habit. And once you get out of the habit of writing, it's a hard thing to get back to. But November seems like a good month to get back in the habit.


November is a month for giving thanks. It's the month of Thanksgiving, after all. For me, when I turn the calendar to November, I'm reminded once again of just how much to be thankful for. You see, it was in November, 2016 that I had a hemorrhagic stroke. That significant life event forever altered my life. But that's a story for another day.


Today I'm focused on being thankful. And this great old hymn comes to mind:




"Let all things now living a song of thanksgiving
To God the Creator triumphantly raise,
Who fashioned and made us, protected and stayed us,
Who guideth us on to the end of our days.
His banners are o'er us, His light goes before us,
A pillar of fire shining forth in the night,
'Til shadows have vanished and darkness is banished,
As forward we travel from light into light.

His law He enforces, the stars in their courses,
The sun in His orbit, obediently shine.
The hills and the mountains, the rivers and fountains,
The deeps of the ocean proclaim Him Divine.
We too should be voicing our love and rejoicing,
With glad adoration a song let us raise,
'Til all things now living unite in thanksgiving
To God in the highest, hosanna and praise!
                                                                              -Katherine K. Davis


Those are the words to a hymn titled "Let All Things Now Living", written by Katherine K. Davis and typically sung to a traditional Welsh melody. It's one of those hymns we don't sing in church any more, but it's still one of my favorites.
 
This hymn seems to come to my mind every year at this time. It isn't because we frequently sing this hymn at this time of year, or at any other time of year, for that matter. In fact, I can't remember when I last heard this hymn as part of congregational singing. Rather, at this time of year particularly, this hymn is called up from deep in the recesses of my memory. It's a catchy tune, but the text is what grabs my attention.
 
Perhaps it's because I'm not as young as I used to be! Or perhaps there is some other reason. In any event, I am becoming more and more aware of how much I take for granted. How often I forget to say "thank you". It's not that I'm ungrateful. Forgetful, yes. A little scatter-brained sometimes. More forgetful post-stroke than I was previously. Easily distracted, particularly since the stroke. But not ungrateful. Never ungrateful.
 
At this time of year, and particularly as I am approaching my "strokaversary", this Song of Thanksgiving is appropriate. I have so many reasons for thanksgiving this morning, not the least of which is the beauty of the world around me. I love this season of the year with its brilliant reds and golds. With its spectacular sunsets and breathtaking morning skies. It's a beautiful season of the year, my favorite season, and I am so thankful. This year the colors haven't been as brilliant as they are in some seasons, but it is still a beautiful time of year.
 

 
Beyond the beauty of the season, I have so many other reasons to be thankful. I'm thankful for my husband and my family. For dear friends. For my church family. For my health. Especially for my health.
 
I'm thankful for the privilege of prayer. I'm thankful that God hears and answers. I'm thankful for those times when I utter a prayer with a very specific request, and within just a few minutes I have my answer! And I'm equally thankful for those times when the answer is a long time in coming. The times when I'm learning how to wait and how to trust. I'm thankful for all that those times are teaching me about God and about faith.
 
I am so very grateful for a Sovereign Lord. One who knows me best and loves me most. One who has all things under control. One who has a purpose for all things.
 
This morning I am so very grateful. For another day of life. And for the privilege of living it for Jesus!

So very grateful.

It's a good day for a song of thanksgiving!

"My heart overflows with a good theme."  (Psalm 45:1 NASB)



No comments:

Post a Comment