Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Done Any Eavesdropping Lately?



Go ahead and admit it. We all do it. Listen in on the conversations around us. I'm not talking about the hide-behind-the-door-like-a-sneak-so-you-can-hear-the-conversation-between-your-parents kind of eavesdropping. I'm talking about just listening in on conversations that happen around you, the conversations that you aren't really a part of. In the restaurant. In the doctor's office. At church. In the mall.

When you listen to those conversations, what do you hear? 

Here's what I've heard a lot of lately:  complaining, whining, grumbling, negativity. It's too hot. It's too cold. It rains too much. It doesn't rain enough. The coffee is too hot. The coffee is cold. The coffee is too strong. The coffee is weak. The tables are too close together. It's too crowded. I don't like that song. The music is too loud. Why don't we sing my favorite song? Why are the chairs arranged this way? The chairs are too close together. The chairs are too far apart. I don't like drums. I don't like guitars. On and on it goes.

There's a recurring theme. What I like. What I don't like. Me. I. My.

Even among those of us who call ourselves Christian, there's an awful lot of complaining and grumbling and selfishness. Maybe especially among those of us who call ourselves Christian. As though life is all and only about us and our own personal preferences. 

That's sad, isn't it? Because the truth of the matter is, it's not about you. Or me.

Is this how we are displaying Jesus to the world?

I challenge you to pay attention to your conversation today. Really listen to yourself. Eavesdrop on your own conversation, not just the conversations around you. What's the dominant theme?

Certainly we live in challenging times. The economy. Self-serving politicians. The list could be very long.

But our joy isn't based on circumstances, is it? Our joy is in the Lord Jesus. And shouldn't that joy should be reflected in our conversation?

Something to think about today.

"Finally, brothers [and sisters], whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."             (Philippians 4:8 ESV)

"From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers [and sisters], these things ought not to be so."  (James 3:10 ESV)

"Through him [Jesus], let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name."  (Hebrews 13:15 ESV)

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude jesting, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving."  (Ephesians 5:4 ESV)

"Do all things without grumbling."  (Philippans 2:14 ESV)

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer."  (Psalm 19:14 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment