Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Feeling Nostalgic

Maybe its because we are heading into the holiday season. Or maybe it's because we just celebrated Veteran's Day and I saw so many photos of those who served. Maybe it's because I've been researching my ancestry. I don't know, but for whatever reason, I'm feeling very nostalgic this morning.


Yesterday I was looking back through some old family photos. Some of our children when they were younger. And some of us when we were younger! As I looked through those photos, I came across some real treasures.


There was this undated photo of my home town in days gone by.




There was this, also undated, picture of my grandparents when they were very young.


 

And there was this picture of my Grandmother as I remember her. She's the only grandmother I ever knew, since my Grandmother Austin died before I was born. Grandmother Neil lived next door to us from the time I was 2 years old. I spent a lot of time with her, and she had a profound influence on my life.
 


The picture is old and faded, but very precious to me. One of my most vivid memories was that Grandmother was always singing. And if not singing, then humming or whistling. When she washed clothes (with the old wringer washing machine) and washed dishes. When she cooked and worked in the yard. And almost always to the same tune.

Thou, my everlasting portion, more than friend or life to me;
All along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with thee.
Close to Thee, close to Thee, close to Thee, close to Thee;
All along my pilgrim journey, Savior let me walk with Thee.*


I often find myself singing that as well, as I'm working a puzzle or puttering around the house. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree!

This is more than just something that reminds me of my Grandmother. It's more than just a hymn we don't sing much anymore.

It's a prayer.

And it's my prayer.

Perhaps it could be your prayer too.

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8)


* words: Fanny J. Crosby; music: Silas J. Vail

No comments:

Post a Comment