Thursday, September 19, 2019

Monitors and Mittens







Don't you wish you could sleep in mittens like these!

A few weeks ago, my rheumatologist determined I can add carpal tunnel syndrome to my list of ailments. After steroid injections in both wrists (no fun at all!), I now get to sleep with these boxing-glove-like mittens.

Who knew getting older would bring such fun accessories into my life!

And lets not forget the joy of wearing a heart monitor for the last month. Thankfully, the monitoring is now completed, and I'm just waiting to see what, if anything, the monitoring revealed.  I was very pleased to pack that monitor and its associated parts, and return it to the "monitoring people".




Even as I am wearing my mittens and waiting on monitoring results, I have become aware that a number of friends and relatives are also being "monitored". We are all in a similar season of life, so perhaps this is just an inevitable part of getting older.

I'm not sure who said it first, but it is certainly a true statement: Getting old is not for sissies!

Yet even as I complain about the monitor and the mittens, and even as I joke about aging, I am very aware that every day is a gift from God. And that is also true of old age. Or of older age, since I haven't yet reached that place where I could really be described as old.

Every day of life is a precious gift, no matter what our season of life. And even as we move toward the senior years, there is still joy and purpose in each day.

The psalmist has a good reminder for us about that, no matter what our age or our health or our circumstances. It's a reminder I needed today. Perhaps you do too.

"O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come." (Psalm 71:18-19 ESV)




No comments:

Post a Comment