Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Won't You Get Bored?

One year ago today, Al and I set out on a long trip around the country.  Before we began our journey, I was often asked this question. Won't you get bored?

My answer was always some (polite, I hope!) form of No, I won't!

For starters, I was born with a travel gene, if there is such a thing.  I love to travel.  I love seeing new faces and new places, trying new foods and experiencing new things.  So for those reasons alone, the trip around the country was perfect.

Of course, because it was essentially a very long business trip, there were not always opportunities to see and experience all the new and different things there are along the way.  But we did manage to experience quite a lot!  

One of the best parts of the trip for me as we began our travels was some much-needed down time during the early days of the trip, while we were in Atlanta.  Prior to beginning our adventure, there had been the the packing and unpacking of moving from North Carolina to South Carolina, and then the packing again for the trip, so some down time was a welcome change of pace.  In the early days of our journey, we had a wonderful time seeing friends in Nashville, and a wonderful time of worship on a Sunday in Jackson, Mississippi.  We ate some delicious food and saw some beautiful countryside.  And that was only the beginning.  So, was I bored? In a word, no!

Over the course of the trip, one of the things I delighted in was catching up on some reading. During the last months of packing and unpacking, there was not nearly enough time for books!  I hear the aren't you bored? question a lot when books come into the conversation, which makes me so sad!  How could anyone be bored with reading?  It's something I can't even begin to fathom!  

Reading is definitely one of my passions.  Bible study is another.  When it comes to the Scriptures, I am saddened at how often I hear that question.  Isn't it boring?  Again, I have the same answer.  No.  I think that those who are bored by the study of God's Word just must not be doing it right! But that's a topic for another day.

Right now, as I'm recalling leaving on that long journey around the country, and as I'm trying to catch up on laundry after our beach vacation, I find myself wishing that once again I had those long, uninterrupted periods for reading and Bible study that I enjoyed so much on our journey last year.

I need to get this unpacking and decluttering and laundry done so I can get my regular schedule back, with plenty of time for reading and for study!


"O how I love your law!  It is my meditation all the day."  (Psalm 119:97 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment