Thursday, July 28, 2016

So Many Books.....

There are a lot of books in my to-be-read pile. And there are lots of books on the shelf that I would like to read again.  I enjoy all sorts of books, both fiction and nonfiction.  And I'm usually reading several at once. I have stacks of books piled up in the bedroom.  My bookshelves are overflowing.  And my Kindle has several yet-to-be-read titles awaiting me.  So many books, so little time!

I read for all sorts of reasons.  Sometimes I read for information or for education, to learn more about a particular person or topic.  I read because it keeps my mind sharp and increases my vocabulary.  I read for the pleasure of it, because it's relaxing and it's something I enjoy doing.  I read because I want to!

I have always enjoyed mysteries.  Figuring it all out is part of the fascination, I think.  For the last several years, political thrillers have fascinated me.  I have particularly enjoyed a series of books by Daniel Silva about an Israeli counterintelligence operative.  I most recently read The Black Widow in that series, and am already looking forward to the next installment in the series, which unfortunately won't be available until next summer!

Right now this is what's on my reading table:



I'm still making my way through Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman.  I've been at this one for a while, not because it is difficult reading, but because I read a passage or a chapter and then think about it for a while, rather than sitting and reading straight through.  The subtitle is "Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World".  It's a call to embrace and enjoy the small, ordinary moments of life, rather than always rushing to the next big thing.  If you think your life is too much hustle-bustle and hurry-up, this might be a good read for you.

Not visible in that photo is the mystery I'm currently enjoying, Scandal at Six by Ann Purser.  This is one of a series of books revolving around Lois Meade, a house-cleaner in a small English village who fancies herself a detective.  Purser began the series with the days of the week (Murder on Monday, Terror on Tuesday, Weeping on Wednesday), and after finishing the week, continued the series with numbers (Warning at One, Tragedy at Two). I've just begun Scandal at Six, and am enjoying checking back in with Lois, her daughter Josie, her mother Gran, and all the comings and goings in the village of Long Farnden.  I expect that this book will follow the style of the others:  cleverly plotted, humorous, believable characters, with an unexpected twist at the end.

Once I'm done with Scandal at Six, I'll begin Braving It  by James Campbell.  This is a book I have received for review, so you'll be hearing more about it later.  It's the story of a father's journey with his daughter into the north of Alaska.  I'm looking forward to that one! Once that one is finished, I'll work my way down the stack to The Secret Keeper and the other books in the stack, all either recommended to me by someone or something that just sounded interesting.

Also there waiting to be read is a cookbook, Old-School Comfort Food by Alex Guarnaschelli, whose name you will recognize if you watch the Food Network.  Yes, I read cookbooks.  I don't cook all that much anymore, but I still enjoy reading cookbooks!

After I finish these, I'll retrieve some more from stacks of unread books that can be found all around the house.  Or maybe I'll pull one or two off the shelf to re-read.

The bottom line, I guess, is that I just love books.  Big books, little books.  Fat books, thin books.  Heavy-duty novels that require lots of thinking.  Little "fluff" books that require no thinking at all!  I think in the publishing world these are referred to as "cozies".  Some of my favorite cozies are a series of  Tea Shop Mysteries set in Charleston, SC and a similar series of mysteries set in a coffee shop in Greenwich Village.  No deep thinking required.  Just fun to read.

So, there you have it.  My name is Susan and I'm a compulsive reader. 

What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment