Friday, July 15, 2016

Determined

For several weeks now, it has been my [almost] daily practice to walk every morning in the neighborhood.  I began with a short walk, about a half mile, from our house up to the entrance of our neighborhood and back again.  Once I felt comfortable with that, I increased my distance and walked the whole street.  Last week, on a couple of different days, I made the turn onto Kellie Lane.

Walking in this neighborhood is all about walking up and down hill.  From the entrance to the end of the road is one long hill.  We live about halfway down the road, so it's either walk up the hill and then back down, or go in the opposite direction and walk down hill and then back up.  Kellie Lane takes that to a whole different level.  It's a very steep hill.

Twice last week I made the turn and attempted Kellie Lane.  On both occasions, I made it about halfway up before I had to turn around and head for home.

Yesterday I was determined to do the whole thing.  Yesterday I was determined to make it to the top of Kellie Lane.  Yesterday I had made up my mind I would do it.

And I did.

And I did it again today.

Because I made up my mind that's what I would do.

Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s there was a Contemporary Christian song with the title "I Am Determined."  That title sums up my attitude toward Kellie Lane!

But it is so much more.

I don't remember who sang the song.  And I don't remember who wrote it, so I can't give proper credit.  But these are the lyrics I remember from that song:

"Darkness around me, sorrow surrounds me,
Yet though there are trials, still I can sing.
For I have this treasure; my God reigns within me;
And I am determined to live for my King.
I am determined to be invincible
'Til He has finished His purpose in me.
And nothing can shake me,
For He'll never forsake me.
I am determined to live for my King."
 
That song became something of a theme song for me back then.  And it remains so today.  Because I am determined to live for my King.
 
This world is full of all kinds of heartache and trouble.  Of terrorism and violence.  All kinds of difficulties surround us. Do all these things rattle me from time to time?  Sure they do.
 
Even so - in spite of all that - I am determined to live for Jesus.  I am determined not to be shaken by world events, or by the circumstances of life.  I am determined to live with my eyes fixed on Jesus.
 
So that nothing can shake me.  Not even Kellie Lane!
 
 
"But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head.  I was crying to the LORD with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain.  I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me."  Psalm 3:3-5 NASB
 
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment