Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Shine

We'll be heading to the beach in a couple of days.  I can't wait.  But before we can go to the beach, there's a lot to do to get ready.  Laundry.  And packing.  And being sure we aren't forgetting anything.  Which means the inevitable (at least for me) lists.  Getting ready to go on vacation can be exhausting.

And being exhausted can lead to being cranky.  Which is not a good way to begin a vacation.

I confess to being a little cranky this morning.  A little out of sorts.  Maybe I just needed more sleep.  Maybe I'm just feeling overwhelmed by all there is to do.  Maybe it's because I got overheated when I went for my walk.  It's already really hot and humid here in the Upstate this morning!

As I was having a little talk with myself about my attitude, I had a flashback to our beach trip a couple of years ago.  I had gone with Al to the carwash to get the sand washed off our car before we were to head back to the mountains.  There was music at the car wash.  Get Your Shine On.

I don't know who sings that song.  I'm not much of a country music fan.  I don't even really know what the song was about.  Nothing to do with the way I was applying it, I'm sure!  I suppose I could have googled the song, but I didn't.  Because it wasn't the song that grabbed my attention.  It was that phrase.

Get your shine on.

When I heard that phrase, I wasn't thinking about the song or the singers.  I was reminded of the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount.

"Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."  (Matthew 5:16 ESV)

And I wondered......do I have my shine on?

Do you?

Am I, are you, radiating Jesus?

With my cranky attitude this morning, I think not.

So I need to adjust my attitude.  I need to spend some time with my Father.

It's an interesting question, isn't it?  Do I have my shine on? 

When others see me, does the glory go to me, or does the glory go to my Father in heaven?

Am I shining for Jesus today?

It's a challenging question. 

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment