Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement. Graduation.

On a Tuesday morning twelve weeks ago, my day began at about 4:30 when someone came into my hospital room to draw my blood.  This morning began with a visit to my doctor's office to have blood drawn.  But that's where the similarities stop.

On Tuesday morning twelve weeks ago, I was lying in a hospital bed, with a heavily bandaged knee.  Moving that knee at all on that day was painful, to say the least.

Today, 84 days later, I'm in my own home, pain-free, enjoying life with my brand new knee.  In between has been quite a journey.  Learning how to walk with my new knee, first with a walker, then with a cane, and finally, unassisted.

There have been lots of physical therapy appointments and hours of doing my exercises at home.  There has been some discomfort.  There have been good days and bad days.  Some tears have been shed. 

But today, on this Tuesday morning twelve weeks after knee replacement surgery, I am thankful.  I'm feeling good.  The knee works well.  I am able to do things I never thought I would be able to do. I've come a long way in twelve weeks, and have finally arrived at the point where I can say I'm glad I had this done.  There were times along the way where I wasn't so sure!

Yesterday was a milestone in my knee replacement journey.  Yesterday I "graduated" from physical therapy.  I'm not sure what I will do with myself now!  Since December, I've been going to PT at least once a week, often three days a week.  What will I do with all that time?

One of the great blessings of this knee replacement journey is my physical therapist.  Caitlin has challenged and encouraged me throughout this process, and pushed me to do more than I ever though I could.  When my rheumatologist first sent me to physical therapy back in December, I was not at all enthusiastic.  I didn't see how going to therapy would help my knee pain.  And it didn't.  But it did make me stronger and equipped me to do things, like putting on my own shoes and socks, that I had been no longer able to do for myself.  And I'm convinced that my "pre-hab" helped the actual surgery and rehab go much more smoothly.

How thankful I am that Caitlin Herina was my physical therapist. She is the Best Physical Therapist Ever!  Over these last several months, she has become so much more than that.  She has become a good friend, and I am going to miss her terribly when she moves to Little Rock next month.

 


She even made cupcakes for my "graduation"!  Red Velvet - my favorite!
 
 

 


Sometimes it seems that these twelve weeks have gone by very quickly, and sometimes it seems like it has been a lot longer than just twelve weeks since surgery.  In any event, I've come a long way.  And I am so very thankful.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His Holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits."  (Psalm 103:1-2 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment