Thursday, January 7, 2016

Memories. And Perspective.

It's another cold morning here in Spartanburg.  As I looked at my Facebook memories for this date, I was greeted by this photo:

 

That photo reminded me just how cold winters in the mountains could be.  It put this morning's 30 degrees into perspective. Yes, 30 degrees is cold for South Carolinians.  But it could be a lot colder.  A lot!

Al usually takes Molly for her first morning walk.  I appreciate that he does that, since I'm really not much of a morning person.  It takes a while to get my brain and my bones moving every day.  But since Al had to be out of town this morning, it was my duty joy to walk her.  Thankfully, she slept a little later than she sometimes does.  Even so, being out with her so early gave me a chance to see this:

 

That's the kind of view I usually miss.  It's the kind of view that makes it worth getting up and out a little earlier!

For the last two weeks, my pastor has been leading a group through the Holy Land.  We made our last visit to Israel two years ago, and I long to go again.  Today is the group's last day in Jerusalem before they fly back home.  As I have been thinking about them this morning, I'm remembering previous trips.  I'm particularly remembering previous "last days" in Jerusalem.  The last day of our trip typically begins with prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.  We walk through the Kidron Valley and go to the House of Caiphas.  We walk the Via Dolorosa and we end the day at the Garden Tomb.

Those are precious memories indeed!  I came across this photo this morning.  Al snapped it near the Garden Tomb on our last trip.


I remember that day well.  I was tired.  My feet hurt.  It was the first day of what would end up as a very serious cold/sinus infection/ear infection.  At the time, I was feeling pretty miserable.  Even so, I would do it all again!  There is something so special and so precious about being there.  About walking where Jesus walked.  About celebrating the Lord's Supper there in the Garden near the empty tomb.

Those are wonderful memories.  I know that my friends who are there in Israel today have made wonderful, lasting memories.  I'm so glad they have had this opportunity.  But I confess that I'm just a wee bit envious!

Memories are wonderful things.  I'm so thankful that God has given us the gift of remembering. And for photographs that capture the memories!

On this "Throwback Thursday", here are a few of my favorites:


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment