Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Don't Be Afraid

One of the core principles of learning how to study the Bible is learning to look for repeated words or phrases.  It is one of the first disciplines we learn as we are learning to study.

This morning as I was reading my Bible, I was reminded of that principle, as a repeated phrase kept jumping off the page at me.

This year I am following a Bible-reading plan designed by 19th Century Scottish minister, Robert Murray M’Cheyne.  The M'Cheyne plan has me reading in four different sections of Scripture each day.  Currently I am reading in Genesis, Nehemiah, Matthew, and Acts.  In addition to Bible reading, I receive several devotionals in my e-mail box each day.  And there's a devotional book on my desk that I often read from.

In each of these readings today, I came across the same phrase.

Don't be afraid.

That's a good phrase to remember, isn't it?

In every circumstance of life.

When you are anxious.

When you are facing financial stress.

When there are health concerns.

When the economy is good.  And when it isn't.

When you see turmoil all around you.

When you listen to politicians and their blustering.

When you wonder what is happening to our country.

When you have concerns about presidential elections.

Or about paying your bills.

Or about the condition of your marriage.

When you're worried about your children.

Or your grandchildren.

In every situation of life.

Don't be afraid.

God is in control

And He is working all these things together for our good and for His glory.

Don't be afraid.


Jesus said to them, "It is I. Do not be afraid." (Matthew 14:27 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment