Monday, December 21, 2015

What's More Important?

It's just a few days before Christmas, and as if that weren't enough cause for excitement, there was a really big movie released just a few days ago.

People have stood in line for hours to get a seat to see the latest installment in the Star Wars saga.  The level of enthusiasm for The Force Awakens is astonishing!

As I've watched all the hoopla over this movie, I find myself asking a few questions.

Here's an example.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if people got this excited about celebrating Jesus?  I often ask a similar question as I see people sitting in the stands at sporting events each weekend, after having paid large sums of money to watch a game, and screaming loudly in support of their particular team.

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not anti-sports.  I enjoy football in particular, and I love cheering on my favorite teams.  (Although in the case of my favorite college team, there really wasn't much to cheer about this year!)

Nor am I anti-Star Wars.  Although I haven't seen this particular movie, and probably won't, and I haven't seen the previous few in the saga, we did take our boys to see Star Wars movies back in the day.  And if one of my grandsons invited me to see The Force Awakens with him, I would do it.  After all,  I know about light sabers and storm troopers and R2D2 and Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader and lots of other Star Wars stuff.  Besides, it's not likely that this Nana would turn down such an invitation from one of her grandsons!

Even so, as I sit back and observe the excitement about this movie, and as I listen to conversations, I have a few questions.  I wonder about priorities.

Which is more important?  That you teach your child all the details of Star Wars lore, or that you teach your child about Jesus?  Which have you been talking about more this last week?

Which is more important?  That you take your child to see The Force Awakens, or that you take your child to church?  What did you and your child do together over the weekend?  And about which of those activities were you most enthusiastic?

If you're one of those who stood in line outside a theater this weekend, or if you're one of those who stood in line to get into a sporting event or a concert, or if you recently stood in line for hours on Black Friday to get the latest toy or electronic gadget, would you be equally willing to stand in line waiting to get into your local Sunday morning church service?  I wonder.

During this Christmas season, are we talking more about Santa and about that creepy elf on the shelf and about what we want for Christmas, or are we talking about Jesus?

Are we focusing more on what we want and what we are going to get, or are we talking about ways we can give?

What's more important?

No comments:

Post a Comment