Friday, November 21, 2014

Lessons Learned in the Mall

My goal for yesterday was to finish my Christmas shopping.  Although I didn't completely accomplish that, I did spend a lot of time in the mall yesterday.  And in doing so, I learned a few things.

I learned that I'm not as young as I used to be.  There was a time when spending the entire day in the mall, walking from one end to another and carrying multiple packages, would have been no big deal.  That is no longer true.  After one pass, I was exhausted, my knees felt three times their normal size, and my feet ached beyond what I have words to describe.  All that explains why I do a lot more on-line shopping these days!

I learned that if I had to look at my unclothed self in a mirror every day, I would probably lose a lot of weight.  As I stood in the fitting room, surrounded by mirrors as I tried on the clothes I had selected, I realized that installing more mirrors throughout the house might be the solution to my weight problem!  Ugh!

I learned that social media is not just for the young.  As I was eating my lunch, three people sat down at the table next to me.  Three people who are much older than I.  The first thing these three ladies did after they were seated was pull out their I-phones and begin scrolling.  They said not a word to each other and continued to focus on the phones until the food arrived.  Only when the food was served did they put the phones away.

I learned that maybe my eyesight isn't as good as I think it is. I saw a young woman walking through the mall ahead of me.  I thought that she was one of those elves.  You know the ones.  The Santa-helpers who are there to see that children are photographed  with the mall Santa.  However, when I got a little closer to her, I realized she was not an elf at all.  She just had green hair!

The mall is a good place for people-watching.  There are all sorts of people there.  In all shapes and sizes and colors.  Young people and old people.  And those in between.  Some are thin and some are round.  Some are smiling and friendly.  Some not so much.

All kinds of people.  And all these people have something in common.  Jesus died for them.

Think about that the next time you are out shopping.

"Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!"    1 Chronicles 16:29 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment