Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Because It Matters

It's Tuesday.  It's Election Day here in the United States.

On this Tuesday, I'm giving thanks for the privilege of voting.  Voting is a privilege denied to many around the world, a privilege many around the world only dream of.

We are blessed in this country to have this privilege.  To be free to go to the polls.  To voice our opinions through our ballot choices.

I'm thankful for the founders of this country.  Thankful for their wisdom in designing this system.

And I'm sad that so few participate in the system.

Unfortunately, in this country we have become more interested in celebrities and athletes than in the process of government.  We are more informed about football scores and standings than we are about candidates and issues.  That makes me incredibly sad.

Today is Election Day.  For more than two hundred years, men and women have sacrificed so that we might have this privilege.  Let's not take it for granted.

I voted last week.  (My state has Early Voting.)  If you haven't voted yet, I hope you will vote today.

I hope you will carefully consider the candidates and the issues.  I hope that you will not base your decisions on thirty-second sound bites.  I hope you will be informed.  I hope you will vote based on your worldview and your faith. 

I hope we will all make our choices prayerfully and carefully.

I hope we will be informed voters.

I hope we will continue to participate in and honor this process.

Because it matters.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke,  Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

No comments:

Post a Comment