Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I'm Back!

After several days unplugged, I'm back! 

I haven't been completely unplugged.  I did log on every morning to see if there was a message or an e-mail or some emergency that needed to be dealt with, but otherwise, I have been technology-free for the last few days.

It seems a bit strange to say "I'm back" when I didn't really go anywhere.  People often pay a lot of money to spend a few days on a retreat in a secluded mountain cabin.  But, since that's where I live, there was no need to go anywhere!  This is a bit too large to qualify as a cabin, but it is a log home in a very secluded setting in the mountains, and hubby is out of town for a few days, so I have been home alone.  The perfect time and place to get alone with God for a few days. 

And really, how could I not worship with a view like this one in front of me?



I began my retreat by doing a little laundry, taking care of a few household tasks, and making a giant pot of vegetable soup so I would not have to think about cooking.  Once all those distractions were out of the way, I unplugged.  No Facebook.  No Words With Friends.  No Candy Crush.  No Instagram.  No Twitter. No e-mail. Just Jesus and me.

As a result, I probably missed some really good status updates.  And I likely missed some really good photos.  I may have missed some birthdays.  I'm behind on weather reports and news updates.

What I gained more than makes up for all of that.

I rested.

Life has been unusually busy over the last few weeks.  That, combined with some health issues, meant I was really tired.  Weary.   One of the blessings of this retreat was physical rest.  No particular schedule.  Napping when I felt like it. No set time to get up in the morning or to go to bed at night.  As a result, I'm feeling rested and refreshed.

I prayed.

One of the great joys of these last few days has been extended periods of prayer.  No distractions.  No interruptions.  The phone rarely rang. Even Molly was cooperative and didn't require a lot of attention.  All of which allowed for extended periods of time to pray.  Times of precious communion with my Heavenly Father.  Times to talk.  Times to be quiet and listen.  Praying for personal situations.  For family and friends.  For our nation.  For my church and my pastor.  For Israel.  For the persecuted church around the world.  For those who are taking the Gospel to the farthest corners of the earth.  Praying.  Talking.  Listening.  Worshiping.

As a result, I'm feeling spiritually refreshed.

I read.  There were several books in my to-be-read pile that got my attention this week.  I read The Prayers of Susanna Wesley.  I spent more time with Pursue the Intentional Life.  I finished Called to Write.  I began digging into Hebrews: Live By Faith and Not By Sight and Hebrews: Be Confident.

Isn't it amazing how much reading can get done when the distractions of life are eliminated?  Certainly I can't go through life week after week ignoring the laundry and never cooking a meal, but for these few days, leaving off those routines and eliminating the distractions of social media meant I could focus on renewing my mind.  And I loved it!

Beyond the time I spent reading books, I spent extended time in the Word.  Reading and studying.  Filling my journals with insights gained.

One of the things I have missed most in recent years is being part of group Bible Study.  On Tuesday mornings as the Precept group gathers at my church, I fight off a twinge of jealousy that I can't be there with them!  That's one of the down sides of living in this isolated setting.  But even though I'm not participating in group study, nothing prevents me from studying on my own.  And that's what I have been doing over the last few days.  Without all the distractions of regular life, I have spent hours digging into the Word.  Although sitting at my desk, pouring over the Scriptures for hours at a time, can be physically wearying, it has been such a refreshing, energizing experience!  My heart and mind are filled to overflowing with all I am learning as I dig deep into God's Word.  I'm looking forward to applying all I am learning.  To living it out in my life, and to having opportunities to share.  Likely future blog posts will be filled with some of what I have learned!

These four days of retreat have been a great joy!  Yes, I have missed my husband.  Yet at the same time, I am grateful for this opportunity to be still.  To be quiet before the Lord.  To focus on Him with no distractions.  To be refreshed.

Schedules don't always permit this kind of retreat.  But what a blessing and privilege it has been to have spent this extended time in prayer and Bible study.  What a blessing and privilege to be still.  To be quiet.  To be alone with the Lord.

Moses had forty days and nights with the Lord.  And we read in Exodus 34 that when he returned from that time with the Lord, his face was shining.  I don't think my face is shining; I look pretty much the same as always when I look in the mirror.  But I know that I am not the same after having this extended time alone with the Lord.

You and I likely don't have forty days and nights available to get away from life.  You may not even have four days.  But you might be able to find four hours.  Or even just an hour to be alone with the Lord.  To pray.  To read His Word.  To "be still and know that [He] is God."

Check your schedule.  Make the time.  You'll be glad you did.


Jesus said, "Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest awhile."          (Mark 6:31 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment