Friday, June 6, 2014

Thinking About Clouds

One of the things that has fascinated me about living here in the mountains is the view from our front porch.  More specifically, it's the clouds that fascinate me.  They are sometimes high in the sky over the mountains in the distance; sometimes they settle in the valley below us.  It varies from day to day.  Sometimes from hour to hour.

A couple of weeks ago, I began photographing the view each morning.  At about the same time each day, and standing in roughly the same spot, I take a picture.  Sometimes it looks like this:



Sometimes more like this:

 
 
And because we've been experiencing some particularly cloudy mornings lately, sometimes it looks like this:
 
 
 

As I've been observing this ever-changing view, I've been thinking a lot about clouds.  And that has led me to see what the Bible might have to say on that subject.
 
Clouds often obscure the view, which reminded me of this verse:  "now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face."  (1 Corinthians 13:12 NASB).
 
As I watch the clouds hovering over the valley, I'm reminded of the Hebrew people as they wandered in the Sinai wilderness.  "The LORD was going before them in a pillar of cloud by day to lead them on the way."  (Exodus 13:21 NASB).  When you think about clouds as a symbol of the Lord's presence, you don't mind cloudy days nearly so much!
 
Searching through the Psalms led me to this passage:  "For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!  Let your glory be over all the earth."  (Psalm 57:10-11 ESV)
 
But of all the verses I discovered, this may be my favorite:
 
"Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.  So it is to be.  Amen."  (Revelation 1:7 NASB)
 
Think about that next time you see a cloud!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment